Friday, October 31, 2008

Our Next Step

J and I met with my RE yesterday to discuss the last cycle and our next steps. He seemed really nervous and on edge the whole time we were talking about my recent chemical pregnancy and the possible causes. He very tentatively said "maybe it's time to revisit the topic of surrogacy?" I finally let him off the hook and explained that the last miscarriage was my final breaking point and that we'd already decided to move forward with using a gestational carrier. You could just see his body language immediately change. He was clearly hoping that I'd be prepared for it, but was worried of my fragile emotional state.

I pulled out our contracts and told him about my cousin. He asked me all about her--age, reproductive history, pregnancies, miscarriages, # kids, age of kids, etc... He said the first thing he would want to do is the SHG and mock transfer. His only concern is any scarring from her c-section, which he assured me is likely not a problem, but would need to be checked first. He wants to do this test sometime between cd 4-8 and as luck would have it she is expecting af within the next week! So, we'll be able to take the first step within 2wks! When we get the all clear we will schedule the psych eval and we'll be on our way. We have a phone conference schedule with a WI surrogacy attorney next week too! When I asked the soonest we could do an ET he said if her cycle was where we'd like it then we could probably do an ET in December! If not, we will definitely do a FET in January! :D

We talked for a long time about the quality of my two remaining snowbabies (of the original 8). One of them is in his opinion is the best embryo of the bunch (on par if not better than the embryo that resulted in Myles)--it's a day 5 blast graded 1/1 (A+). The other is a day 6 blast also graded 1/1. Both of these embryos were frozen singly rather than in pairs like the others, which is why we didn't use them in any of the FETs. They were "saving" them in case we thawed the couplets and one died (we transferred 2 every time), so we could replace it with one of the single blasts. So far the 6 frozen blasts have survived the thaw and retained their original high gradings. So, my RE thinks we should go ahead with a FET with these 2 blasts and is very confident we will get a sticky bfp! When I asked him about needing to do another ER he said you won't need to. I feel really good about this and am so ready to go forward with the FET!!

Please keep your fingers crossed and send up some prayers that K's uterus is perfect and free of scarring from her last c-section!

14 comments:

N said...

That's AWESOME! Isn't it the best feeling ever that when you finally make the decision to go forward with surrogacy, it can move so fast?! It seems like such a long process conceptually, but realistically these things up front won't take too long, and as you are seeing you might even be doing a transfer next month (as of tomorrow)! :) How exciting. It's so cool that you don't even need at ER too!

Mrs. Spit said...

That sounds wonderful!

Heather said...

Wow Niki! That's great news!

Tiffany said...

How exciting! Praying that everything goes smooth.

Alicia said...

My prayers are with you.

Amber said...

Fabulous fantastic news! Yay yay yay!

Heather said...

I am so excited for you and your new journey! How wonderful that all the cards are falling into place. Continued prayers for you and J.

Dora said...

Niki, that's wonderful!!! YAY for no stims!! I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!

SMK said...

WOW! I cannot believe how fast everything is happening.. That is so awesome for you guys!! I am so excited for you. Can't wait to see the next update.. Tkae care.

Sheri-ct said...

I am SO excited for you! This is wonderful news!

Sheri

Unknown said...

Best of luck on this next step. I'm very excited for you.
Linda

Sanda said...

Congratulations on everything moving forward! I will be crossing my fingers for all of the tests to come back perfect and for everything to go smoothly from here out!

Shantay said...

I will be praying for your family... congrats on things falling into place.

Shantay