Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ultrasound #2

After much anticipation and anxiety we saw both babies on the u/s today. Both babies are measuring right on track and had strong heart rates: Baby A measured 8wks 0 days with a heart rate of 174bpm and Baby B measured 7wks 6days with a heart rate of 176bpm. Poor little Baby B's gestational sac still looks a little squished, but the u/s tech said it's probably from Baby A's sac pushing down on it. I guess Baby A is already picking on his/her sibling--I think this baby is going to be a handful and will take after J! Although I wish both babies had perfectly round gestational sacs, I am trying not to read too much into this. The fill-in ob mentioned that she didn't know what to make of it, which of course freaked me out, so I called my RE to get his take. I'm guessing it's nothing and I know that if our regular ob had been there he would not have mentioned it. He knows that K and I would worry.



I think all three of us sighed a HUGE sigh of relief after the scan, particularly since it was this same scan last time when we found out the baby had died. I'm guessing that we'll be released from the RE sometime next week and K will see the maternity nurse counselor between 10-12 wks, but she won't have an u/s. Fortunately our ob is a great guy who understands our worries and promised to do an u/s anytime we need one to ease our worries, so if we can't wait we can request another one. We won't have another scheduled u/s until the NT scan around 12wks--eek that seems like a lifetime away! I guess we'll have to obsess over K's symptoms until then! ;)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your post at work - yay! The hb's sound great and I hope that the RE is able to ease your mind about the size of the sac. They look gorgeous!

I am awed and so happy to have you and K as my pregnancy buddies too - I hope we will be able to share stories, aches, pains, love and happiness for a long time to come.

thesehappydays said...

Hello - found your blog through another blog I read. Just wanted to mention if you don't already know, there is a great forum over at www.twinstuff.com. Lots of twin parents, with lots of different experiences and a great expecting forum. I've found it to be a great resource!

Meg. said...

LOOK at your gorgeous babies! =) I, too, let out a sigh of relief when I read that their little hearts were beating away.

I know you must be a bit concerned about Twin B's sac. I'm really hoping that the next ultrasound will ease your worries.

Nadine said...

Niki and K! So glad that all is so well with you guys and I am so happy for you both - can't wait to follow along with you
Hugs.

Kay said...

YEAH!!!! I am so excited for you!!

Heather said...

=) =) =) So HAPPY for you guys!!!

Ashley D said...

I am so so so so happy for you! Lots of prayers being sent that things stay on the up side for you guys. You deserve this more than anyone I know.
Lots of Love,
Nolan's Mom

N said...

Whoohoo! What fantastic news!

Thomas said...

I'm so excited for you! I found your blog through another blog, and I wanted to comment on the squished sac. I had my son two years ago after years of infertility, and at his 8-week, 5-day sonogram, the sac was also squished. The doctor wasn't sure what caused it, but said that contractions actually happen throughout pregnancy, and that it could very well have been that--or could have been nothing related to that at all. Whatever the cause, my son was born perfectly healthy. I am praying for the same for you--times two!

Paula

Dora said...

Oh, Niki!! This is wonderful news! YAY!!!

I so understand about ultrasound withdrawal. :-/

Bluebird said...

I've been waiting for this post!! Wonderful news, just wonderful.

Wewurtskihit said...

AWESOME news!!! SO happy for you guys! Sounds like with a heartbeat over 150 you will have 2 girls! Congrats!!

Kelly said...

I wouldn't read too much into the sac shape. I've seen that before with other women and the baby was just fine. I have it in my heart that things will be okay this time Niki! :)

Jayme said...

My Baby B looked just like that at my first couple ultrasounds, and he'll be five weeks old this weekend :)

Jacinta said...

Hey, congratulations you guys! Great news!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Aren't happy ultrasound days just the best??

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this will calm your nerves a little about the sacs - mine looked almost EXACTLY like that around 7 1/2 weeks. I kept thinking there was something wrong with Baby B's sac, but nope. At my last u/s which was 12 weeks, the sacs looked almost identical, the babies did too.

Great heart rates! Great news!

Erica said...

Sorry, the last email was from Erica. I was signed in under my DH's account. :)

Kris said...

Woohoo! Two strong heartbeats and they are measuring great:)

GibsonTwins said...

Just for reassurance, my twins' sacs look squashed too (I have them scanned if you'd like to see- email me, happy to send). Their measurements were all over the place even at one point estimated to be over a lb different yet when they were born boy twin was 5lb 14.5oz and girl twin was 5 lb 5oz.

They look fantastic to me though and how awesome for you guys! Very very happy for you! Twins really are great fun :)

MyLifeMyWorld said...

So glad to hear the ultrasound went well. Reading other peoples comments sounds like a lot of other people had the sac issue too and it was no big deal.

I dont' think it's a big deal either, isn't the sac what the baby lives in? If that's the case, it could be a slight fluid difference between the two babies which will resolove itself. No idea, just a thought.

Great heartrates though..I have a feeling you better start preparing for 2 babies...

~Denise~ said...

WOOHOOO!!! So happy to hear things went well.

Ashley D said...

Tag, you're it! Visit my blog at rubybaby09.blogspot.com to find out what the tag is about. Have fun!!

Unknown said...

This is the best news ever!!!! I am sooo happy for you and josh!! Grow babies Grow!!

Kay said...

How are things going???

Mo said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! Our Little One is close in gestational age to your two. Very exciting to share this timing with you! I'm so so happy for you and your hubby. Those are two gorgeous babes (even if one is getting a bit squooshed!) Congrats!

Mo