Friday, July 10, 2009

Red spotting and an early ultrasound

Today while I was driving back from a funeral I got a phone call from K saying that she was having red spotting, so she called her local ob to request an ultrasound today. K told her ob that there was no way that either of us could wait for the appointment on Tuesday--we'd both be total nervous wrecks over the weekend. The ob was my ob and he's been my gyn for years and knows how I am, so he squeezed K in for an u/s at 2pm. Unfortunately I was about 3 hours from home at this time, so I couldn't make it. K's mom, my wonderful aunt L, accompanied her.

I was sick to my stomach waiting for K to call me with the news. Finally K called me and said "your babies are fine". I wasn't quite sure that I heard her correctly, so I replied with "our babies?" and K said yes "babies". She proceeded to explain that the u/s showed two gestational sacs in the fundus of her uterus. Both sacs contained fetal poles measuring 6wks 1day with heart rates of 109bpm and appropriately sized yolk sacs. The ob couldn't find any source of the bleeding, but assured K that bleeding isn't uncommon during the 1st trimester. My RE's nurse said it could be from the highly vascular cervix and reiterated bleeding is much more common with multiples. Of course that doesn't put K or I at ease given our history with bleeding, but we are reassured by her ravenous appetite and exhaustion in addition to the u/s findings. We both have a good feeling about this pregnancy and will continue to stay hopeful.

K came over as soon as we got home to give us the u/s pictures and I literally couldn't stop staring at them in awe. I still haven't stopped smiling!

Baby A (top; you can see Baby B's gestational sac below Baby A):

Baby B (shown between the + signs; sac looks funny in the photo but K says it looks normal)

We still have the u/s scheduled for Tuesday and may go if K keeps spotting, which would give both K and I some additional reassurance before I jet off to Alaska. If we don't go on Tuesday, then the next u/s will be on July 23. Please keep K and our babies in your thoughts and prayers.

34 comments:

Bobbi said...

I will keep you all in my prayers. I cried when I saw this, just so happy you are having 2 little miracles :)

Nadine said...

Oh Niki! Such great news - K is super star!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the double blessing I hope her bleeding subsides soon and you can enjoy your trip! Give K an extra big hug she really is amazing!!

Bonny said...

Such wonderful news. I'm so happy for you all.

Sarah Andrews said...

Oh wow! What news!

My FGS experienced red spotting at 5weeks4days and it was incredibly scary. But like you guys, we had an ultrasound and there was a little heart, flashing away. I blamed the spotting on the heart starting to beat. Hopefully it's the same for you guys and know that we are all pulling for your little beans.

AnGèLe said...

OMG! Babies!!! YAY! How amazing!!You, K and your babies will be in my thoughts !!!

Shelley said...

Weee! I totally thought from your levels it was twins! :0) My SIL is pg with Twins (due in August) and she had a lot of heavy bleeding up until almost 18w. Scared her to death! Everything is ok though, and I believe they figured out what was wrong..I think it was a low lying placenta?

I hope the spotting stops soon for K and your Alaska trip is more relaxing and not worrisome.

Saffy said...

BABIESSSSSSSSS! Fantastic news - spotting is scary but so reassuring that the u/s looked great. Congrats congrats congrats :)

Heather said...

Babies! Babies! BabieS! Hooray! My BFF, after her last IVF, also just found out she's pregnant with twins. I am SO happy for you and J (and the amazing K).

Jayme said...

OMG YAY TWO!!!

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Congrats on TWO babies! That's wonderful. I've been a lurker here for a long time, haven't commented, but I just wanted to say I had 3 episodes of spotting while I was pregnant with my daughter, one of which was bright red, and the other two even had clots in them, but were brown/pink (sorry if TMI), all between 5-8 weeks and my OB was never able to find a source of the bleeding, but that little heartbeat I saw on that first reassuring ultrasound I got when I started bleeding is now a happy healthy (and cute!) 1 year old :)

Anonymous said...

YAY!!!! Our GS had a few episodes of spotting/bleeding with our twins but everything was just fine. So exciting that you have two strong heartbeats - congrats!!!

Jacinta said...

What fantastic news! I am super happy for you guys.

Meg. said...

Oh wow.

I'm so sorry you had such a scare.....but yay for TWINS!

What a fantastic way to start the weekend....2 precious beans richer! =)

Kelly said...

Keeping you in my prayers but seeing them on u/s is so awesome! I would totally get a second peek on Tuesday. Hopefully it's all good from here!!

Tina said...

Very common with IVF... I had it with all three pregnancies and while it still makes you crazy with worry... I just know this is it for you :) your going to have twins....How wonderful that is....Myles is smiling down on his mommy....Big congrats to you and your husband and K for giving you such a wonderful gift :)

Natalia Ritchie said...

Two babies?! Wow, that is amazing. congrats. This is amazing news, I love it!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god - that is amazing - congratulations. I know how scary bleeding is - I am sorry that it is happening - I hope that it continues to be nothing and that it goes away.

I remember one of your first posts you left on my old blog "Spotting is very common with IVF and also with multiples! Are you on progesterone suppositories? They can irritate your cervix and cause spotting too! I’m thinking positive thoughts for you"

and I remember how much better that made me feel to this day. ((HUGS)) to you, K, J and the babies.

Heather said...

OMG!!! TWO babies!!! Wow!

Keeping you and K in my best, best thoughts.

Gift of Surrogacy said...

I will keep you all and my thoughts and big congrats on your babies!!!

Wewurtskihit said...

OMG - what great news!!!! unreal!!

SO happy for you guys!

sara said...

I'm so happy to hear all is well as well as your double great news! I've been following along for quite some time now and this is just music to my ears! Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers...

GeekByMarriage said...

Hoping the spotting stops and everything goes well. That being said...


OMG SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TWINS!!!!!

Kay said...

Yes!!! TWINS!! Pryaing for lots and lots of sticky dust!

suz said...

Wow, that's exciting news! I have a friend who spotted a lot during her whole pregnancy and they never did determine why but she gave birth to a full term healthy baby.

Rebecca said...

So sorry for the bleeding scare, I know with your history it's very scary right now. But congrats on the two beans!!! Guess I need to get to knitting double time, huh? Love ya!

On My Way Finance said...

Hi, just want to say that I've been reading your blog for a while now. I found it through the ivf forums. I will keep you and K in my thoughts and prayers. I too had spotting early on and I was very worried, but now things are doing much better. I hope this one turns out to be a success, because you truly deserve it!

Jaymee said...

that is wonderful news, times two. the bleeding is really common, which does not make it any less frightening.

congrats, congrats!!!

Sanda said...

Wonderful wonderful news!!! Great photos! I'm so excited for you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of good thoughts your and K's way!

And OMG! TWO BABIES!

Unknown said...

Niki, I just got to read your blog from the wknd and I am so excited for you!!! TWINS!!! AWESOME!
I will keep you and the babies and K in our prayers! Keep growing!

~Denise~ said...

Freakin' fantastic!!! What wonderful news!

Alicia said...

YAHOOO FOR TWO! I'm so happy for you!