Thursday, September 11, 2008

The things I do in my quest

Three years ago had someone told me that I'd be paying a boatload of money to have someone stick needles all over my body, stick small titanium balls inside my ears, and tape a packet of wet, stinky herbs to my back I would have laughed in their face. Today this is normal for me. No doubt that I'd do almost anything to have a healthy, living baby, but some of the things I'm doing seem almost comical to me!

Me, the science nerd, is doing complementary treatments that aren't "scientific" and I'm paying big bucks for it. When I tell people that I see an acupuncturist I'm often met with strange looks. I researched and read all the research regarding acupuncture used in conjuction with IVF and it sounded promising, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Who would've guessed that I'd be hooked?! I find it to be very relaxing, so if nothing else it helps to keep me centered during the emotional roller coaster of IVF. Plus, I got pregnant with Myles using acupuncture, so I'm hoping it will help me again.

My traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) treatments consist of needling, oral herbs, titanium balls on acupressure points in my ears, and as of late an herbal paste on my back. The herbal paste is by far the strangest thing. My acupuncturist mixs up some paste that he puts on a guaze pad and tapes to my lower back. I leave it on for 8 hours. It smells like Icy-Hot and feels similarly tingly. My husband likes to joke that I'm paying $65/hour for someone to poke me and rub "poop" on my back. It is official I will do anything in my quest for a baby!

5 comments:

Alice said...

I've never smelled "poop" that smelled like an icy hot! :)

Anonymous said...

Bring on the stinky paste! Whatever it takes is my motto!

Unknown said...

I hear you - i'm drinking some kind of chinese herbal tea and it tasted like vomit - I'm used to it now but it sure does stink every four days when I have to brew it - the things we are willing to try to make a family.

Unknown said...

Acupuncture is relaxing though!

Travelwahine said...

How funny! I, too, will do anything to get pregnant. I've been considering accupuncture as well. I did call around and one guy is charging $150 bucks an hour. He specializes in infertility esp. IVF and IUI.